What to do this weekend: 27-28 October
Last of the season
The end of October marks the end of the season's opening times for some beautiful Scottish castles and gardens. Why not make the most of the last October weekend and plan a few daytrips to visit them? Fingers crossed for autumn sunshine.
- Cowden Japanese Garden - you don't need to go as far as Japan to see some beautiful autumn foliage in a Japanese Garden. Cowden Garden is located near Dollar, about 30 miles north west of Edinburgh.
- Drummond Castle Gardens - did you know that Drummond Castle has one of the finest formal gardens in Europe? The gardens were featured many films, including the Outlander series.
- Culzean Castle and Country Park - this gorgeous castle in Ayrshire was designed by Robert Adam in the 18th century. The famous Oval Staircase is the dramatic centrepiece of the castle.
- Inveraray Castle - Inveraray is a beautiful castle on the West Coast of Scotland, in the heart of Argyll. Did you know that the Downton Abbey Christmas 2012 episode was filmed here?
Trick or treat? The weekend right before Halloween offers plenty of fun events as well as Halloween themed food & drink.
- Halloween macarons - I just absolutely love Mademoiselle Macaron's creations and with her cute designs she nailed the Halloween theme again. Her seasonal creations include a creepy pumpkin, a cheeky bat and a spooky mummy. And they are so yummy!
- Halloween at The Ivy on the Square - while this is not during this weekend, but happening on the very day of 31st October, I just could not miss from the list The Ivy on the Square's Halloween specials. Make sure to book your table and don't miss the Spiced Apple Martini and the Halloween take on their popular chocolate bomb.
- Traquair Halloween fun day - the spooky fun at Traquair includes magic shows, ghost stories, tarot reading and other Halloween games. Tickets on gate only.
- Halloween trail at the Botanics - explore the Botanics annual Halloween trail and receive a special gift when you complete the trail. No advance booking is required.
Have a nice weekend!