What to do this weekend: 1-2 December
Hello December! (I mean where has November gone?) The first festive weekend of the month is all about supporting Scottish businesses and shopping local. We put together a short guide of our favourite festive fairs, open studios and local shops. Even if you're super-organised and finished all your Christmas shopping in November, it is worth popping in for some glühwine and festive atmosphere - without the crowds of Princes Street.
Small Business Saturday
Treat a loved one (or yourself!) with a special surprise from our favourite indie shops.
- How about some freshly roasted coffee and an Aeropress from Mr Eion? For the tea lover Eteaket has an amazing range of loose teas from Isle of Harris Gin Tea to Tomatin Barrel Aged Whisky Tea, and a new tea advent calendar.
- Life Story in Broughton Street has some beautiful Christmas decor pieces. We're trying hard not to buy them all and turn every room in the flat into Christmas wonderland.
- Meanwhile in Morningside Edward & Irwyn is opening their new chocolate shop, I can imagine this will feel like heaven for any chocolate lover.
Festive Fairs and Pop-ups
- Coburg House Christmas Open Studios - over 80 artists will be opening their doors, from painters to designers and many more.
- Jupiter Artland's Christmas Fair (Saturday only) - winter wonderland returns to Jupiter! Expect carol singing, gift stalls, wreath making demonstrations and delicious seasonal food and drink.
- Out of the Blue Abbeymount Open Studios (Saturday only) - another lovely event to support local artists and makers. There will be also live demonstrations of screen printing, mosaics and textiles printing.
- Life Story Pop-up - Custom Lane will be hosting a curated selection of beautiful Life Story products.
24 Doors of Advent - First Weekend
As massive fans of Doors Open Day, we eagerly await its mini-version in each December: the 24 Doors of Advent. Every day between 1-24 December a door of a special building opens for free to the public. This weekend's doors are Dovecot Studios and Corstorphine Hill Tower.
I will be popping in to Dovecot Studios as their Liberty Art Fabrics & Fashion exhibition has long been on my list to visit. Follow my Instagram stories at @edienthusiast to get a sneak peek or come along to see it yourself - it's on only for a few more weeks, until 12 January. This Satuday you get half price entry (and under 12s are free).
Beat the winter blues and get a Yule Fest pass with access to special cocktails at the best bars of Leith. Yule Fest runs until 5th January and partner bars include Nobles, Malmaison and The Barologist amongst others. Cheers!
Have a nice weekend!