What to do this weekend: 4-5 August
Hello August or just to repeat the Edinburgh International Festival's slogen: 'Welcome All'. This year's festival month is finally here and with plenty of cool events happening in town it was super hard to pick our faves!
Apologies for those who expect Fringe show recommendations here - I'm no comedy expert, so this weekend guide focuses on everything else. Hope you won't mind!
- Foodies Fest - The annual Foodies Festival is back at Inverleith Park this weekend. This year's special guest is our favourite contestant and MasterChef winner, Kenny Tutt. Don't let Sunday's rain forecast hold you back, but we do recommend you bring your wellies!
- Cupcake dreams - If you have a sweet tooth, make sure to get your hands on the adorable Scotland themed cupcakes at Cuckoo's Bakery. They are available during August only, and one of the designs features a cute Highland coo.
- Edinburgh Food Studio - our favourite restaurant of the 'burgh has just relaunched! Head chef James Murray has recently joined the Studio which is exciting news, having tasted his amazing food during EFS's Nur on Tour pop-up event. They are now also open for bread, brunch, lunch and dinner is also served from Wednesdays to Saturdays. Book your table here.
- Affogato Saturday - in the last two weeks we've been back to 27 Elliott's three times for brunch and for this Saturday they have teamed up with the Obadiah Collective, sounds like the perfect excuse for another visit. There will be both vegan and dairy vanilla ice cream options, with the addition of espresso to make your affogato dreams come true.
For cocktail connoisseurs
- Cocktails in Leith - Escape the festival crowds and head to Leith for reasonably priced cocktails. For only £5 you can buy a Chill Fest wristband which will give you access to £5 limited edition cocktails during the entire month of August. Sounds fab, doesn't it? It's also the perfect excuse to explore Leith's cocktail scene.
- The 360 degree view - why not sip your cocktails while enjoying a 360 degree view of Edinburgh's gorgeous Georgian New Town. The Forth View members club pop-up has recently opened on the top of The Principal George Street and we cannot wait to check it out - note the bar is only open on selected dates and reservation is highly recommended.
For art lovers
- A special photo exhibition launches this week at Edinburgh's West End, titled West End Character Project. The quirky photos of Derek Anderson will showcase the people and places of the neighbourhood, and you will be able to view the exhibition while strolling from Coates Crescent to Shandwick Place.
- Liberty - Meanwhile at Edinburgh's Southside, Dovecot Gallery is celebrating 140 years of Liberty Art Fabrics. The exhibition is part of the Edinburgh Art Festival and you can buy your tickets via Eventbrite. While visiting, don't miss checking out the Viewing Balcony of the Dovecot Tapestry Studio.
- Neim at Eteaket - Neim Design is having a pop-up event at the Eteaket Concept Store this weekend, so you can support indie stores and shop for art and tea at the same time.
Have a nice weekend!